Tax Preparation and Planning for Cannabis Businesses
Do you need to get your cannabis business into compliance?
Do you need help managing the excise, cultivation, income, corporate, and other taxes that come with a cannabis business?
Do you want a tax professional who has been serving cannabis businesses for more than a decade?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’re in the perfect place to find out about how we can help you with your tax return preparation, fast and easy filing, and tax planning to reduce your tax bill. We serve hundreds of cannabis businesses each year, and we can help you save time and money and reduce the stress that goes along with tax time.
We can handle tax return preparation and filing for individuals, businesses, partnerships, trusts, estates, S-Corps, C-Corps, LLCs, sole practitioners, and nonprofits involved in the cannabis industry.
These days, tax return preparation with cannabis implications is best left in the hands of a tax professional with access to highly complex professional tax software and who can check the results against their knowledge of the latest tax laws.
The courts are actively making new law in this area, and we stay on top of the latest cases so that we can present you with the latest tax options.
Tax Preparation Services We Provide
We help our clients with the following services:
- Prepare your tax return with our professional software
- Prepare and file your excise, cultivation, and other tax returns
- Adjust or catch up your business or investment bookkeeping records so they are tax-ready
- Check for every deduction you are eligible for
- Apply the latest tax law and court decisions to your situation
- Double- and triple-check your tax return’s accuracy
- Review any red flags generated by our tax software and inform you of any that might increase your risk or review or audit
- Explain the complex in an understandable way so you can feel confident you’ve made the right decision
- Electronically file your individual, corporate, and estate tax returns at the local, state, and national levels so you can get any refunds back as fast as possible
- Provide you a link where you can check on your refund status
- Keep you informed of due dates within the scope of our engagement with you so you can stop worrying whether you’ve forgotten to file something important
- Answer your questions and explain your options
- Help you with recordkeeping requirements
- Provide year-round access to copies of your returns should you need them to purchase a new house or take out a loan
- Be available to call or email year-round for additional tax questions or services
- Help you adjust your tax withholding amounts for next year
- Calculate estimated tax payments you may need to make to reduce or avoid penalties for next year
- Make tax projections throughout the year so there are no surprises
- Meet with you to determine ways to reduce your tax bill for next year
- Provide you with deductions you may be able to take next year to reduce your taxes
Tax Return Preparation Services for Individuals, Trusts, and Estates
We know that tax time is probably not your favorite time of the year! We want to make it as quick and pain-free as possible for you. We can help you navigate the maze of forms, requirements, deadlines, and constantly changing tax laws so that you can be aware of the possible financial opportunities available to your circumstances.
No matter what kind of income you have – paycheck income from a job that issues a W-2, contract work with 1099s, social security income, rental income, business income, stock sales, interest and dividend income, unemployment compensation, income from partnerships, LLCs, or S-Corps, or any other type of income – we can help you determine how to account for it on your tax return. We can help you take all of the deductions and credits you are eligible for, such as property taxes, medical expenses, charitable contributions, business expenses, retirement plan contributions, the new 20% business deduction for pass-through entities, child tax credits, and so many more.
There are many types of tax services for individuals:
- Tax preparation for individuals with a full-time paycheck job
- Tax preparation for retired individuals with social security income, retirement withdrawals and possibly other income
- Tax preparation for taxpayers with a contract job or who are sole proprietors of a small business.
- Tax preparation for dependent children who have income
- Tax preparation for estates
- Tax preparation for trusts
In any case, we can help you prepare and efile the correct forms and accompanying schedules based on your individual needs. And we’ll take special care of any parts of your financial situation that include cannabis entities or transactions.
Tax Return Preparation Services for Businesses
Cannabis and other businesses can take many forms – sole proprietorships, partnerships, LLCs, S Corporations, and C Corporations. The type of entity that your business is set up under will depend on the federal and state forms you need to complete to meet your tax requirements. LLCs are taxed in many ways, making it even more complex.
If your cannabis business was formed under the wrong entity type, you may be paying far more taxes than you need to. We can help you with an analysis of options so you can optimize your specific tax situation.
Federal and state tax return preparation is just the beginning for business tax needs. You may also have franchise tax, sales tax, excise tax, cultivation tax, and other cannabis-specific taxes and licenses that you need to keep up with. Managing all your tax deadlines can be a big job that distracts you from more important things you have to do to run your cannabis business.
We take pride in staying on top of tax deadlines for our clients so you don’t have to stress about them. We can prepare and file the tax returns that are required for your business. We’ll look hard for every deduction possible, discuss with you your options, and perform your tax compliance work accurately and on time.
Tax Return Preparation Services for Nonprofit Organizations
Nonprofit tax-exempt organizations have annual IRS return requirements too. They may not need to pay taxes, but they do need to file an information return, the Form 990, with the IRS each year. From 990 includes information on the nonprofit organization’s purpose, finances, and programs.
If your nonprofit needs help preparing and filing their form 990, give us a call.
Tax Returns That Have Not Been Filed on Time
Are you late filing a tax return? Have you missed a few years and want to get caught up? We often see cannabis businesses needing to get back into compliance when investors come calling.
We can help you prepare and file prior year tax returns. If you have challenges with cash records or lost records, we can help you through the process. It’s easier than you may think. Sometimes all the worry you’ve built up during the time that you haven’t filed can be bigger in your mind than it is if you just get help now to get it done. Take the first step and call us.
When your return is late, there are two penalties: failure to pay and failure to file. These penalties only get larger the more time you wait. The best option is to get professional help to work out a payment plan with the IRS or the state.
Tax Returns That Need to Be Amended
There are many reasons a tax return needs to be amended. There may have been an error made when it was originally filed. It could be that a tax law changed, and amending a return puts the taxpayer in a better position. In any case, if you need to amend a return for any reason, we can help you.
If you receive a letter from the IRS, we can help you interpret what they need you to do next. The letter could be a standard routine notice or it could be something bigger like an audit. In either case, we’re here year-round to help.
Hiring a Tax Preparer
Not all tax preparers are the same. When you hire a tax preparer, make sure they:
- Have obtained a current year PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number). Otherwise, they are ineligible to prepare your IRS returns.
- Have attended continuing education tax courses in the last few months so they know the newest year’s rules.
- Have a quality control process within their business so that your return will be checked for errors.
- Can give you an estimated turnaround time of when your return will be filed. Please be patient with your preparer and remember that they have to do a year’s worth of work in the 10 or so weeks from February to April.
- Can eFile your returns so that your refund, if any, will be returned faster.
- Can guarantee accuracy based on the items you’ve provided your tax preparer.
- Explain your return to you so that you understand what you are signing. You are ultimately responsible for your own tax return, so it’s essential that you understand it.
Feel free to ask us these questions, too! It’s important that you feel comfortable with the tax preparer you choose to work with.
No matter who you hire to do your taxes, please be careful of the rampant frauds surrounding the IRS each year. The IRS will never call you about your return. Do not provide any private information over the phone to people you don’t know, even if they say they are from the IRS.
Here’s a web page form the IRS to educate you about tax scams and abusive preparers so you don’t become a victim of fraud. https://www.irs.gov/compliance/criminal-investigation/tax-fraud-alerts
We’re committed to helping you keep your hard-earned money without paying a penny more in taxes than you’re legally required to do. And some of the biggest savings can come when we work together and plan ahead.
We offer proactive tax planning suggestions to save you money when tax time comes. There are many opportunities for tax savings in the cannabis industry. From entity selection to optimizing intercompany transactions, we can help. Please give us a call any time of the year, so we can start finding ways to save you money.
Tax ID Numbers
All taxpayers need ID numbers to file their taxes. Individuals need a Social Security number or an ITIN. Businesses need a Federal employer identification number. If you need help acquiring these IRS IDs, we can help.
To get an estimate or quote or to discuss any of these services, please give us a call or email us. We’ll set up an initial session so you can find out more about how we can help you with your tax return preparation, filing, and planning needs.